Wise Words

"Wait on the Lord, be strong and of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart...wait on the Lord. Psalms 27:14

Translation/Search



CLICK FLAGS FOR PAGE TRANSLATION OPTIONS
Google
WWW As My World Turns

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What's In Your Jukebox?

This is a repeat post this week. I originally posted this one the week before Christmas. This was such a fun one to do that I wanted to go ahead and re-post it b/c I know a lot of people are out for the Christmas holidays and I wanted to know what would be on your jukebox.
================================
Yesterday my kind and very interesting blogfriend, Michael Manning did a post about 10 songs he chooses on the jukebox. It was a pretty good selection so I thought I would post 10 of the myriad list of songs on the jukebox that I would choose. I have a pretty eclectic music taste which this selection doesn’t even begin to cover. Michael is fascinating and his blog is pretty much a daily read of mine so if you want to be entertained, have your heartstrings pulled, learn some little known trivia, have some laughs or just read a good blog, go visit him on the web via the link above.

My 10 songs that I put on the jukebox (partial list) especially at a pool hall (I love to play pool):

1. Brown Eyed Girl (natch!) – everyone sings about girls with blue eyes or green eyes and very few sing about brown eyes so I always am on the lookout for songs about girls with brown eyes. Plus this is a classic.
2. All Along the Watchtower by the incomparable Jimi Hendrix – nobody does guitar better than Jimi. I have a mondegreen story about Jimi here.
3. Enter Sandman and/or One by Metallica – I'm a huge old-school Metallica fan and have a problem with the newer Metallica stuff, partly b/c of their Napster brouhaha, partly b/c it seems like they've kind of sold out from their original music – with the exception of Whiskey in the Jar, that was a great rendition.
4. Good Day for the Blues by Storyville – a song that embodied what I'd felt for the past 3 years or so. I felt things slipping away between Matt and myself but I wanted so badly to bridge the distance that was growing between us. Sad song but great song.
5. Whisky River by the man himself Willie Nelson – you can never go wrong with Willie. I love the rhythm and the beat on this song
6. Carry On by Pat Green – this song says it all about just kicking back, relaxing and getting on with your life through the stress. It's about taking some time for you to enjoy life and remember how good things can be by connecting with your friends.
7. The Boys of Summer by Don Henley – I just have always liked this song for no other reason than the music, not necessarily the words. Strange?
8. Suspicious Minds the Dwight Yokam version – A GREAT song to dance to at a C&W bar. Has everything in it to dance to from polka or two step to a three-step or touch-step and his rendition is just fun, fun, fun!
9. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skinner – True story: at the end he says "My donuts, God damn" - that came from a recording session where, as a joke, they ate his Dunkin Donuts while he was recording the song and, he being a complete Dunkin Donuts fiend, said the first thing that came from his mouth. Heard this story on a local radio interview with the band. Being a Southern girl, this is part of the music you learn growing up.
10. Here for the Party by Gretchen Wilson – This used to be me. Party hard and play hard. Not anymore. Now I'm a mommy with the best little girl EVER(!) and I pretty much stay home with her all the time and love every minute of it but it would be nice to get out every once in a while with the girls and kick up the heels a little.

However, if I had to choose a top 10 favorites song list, whoo boy, that’s a real tough one but I’ll try, knowing that my list is leaving at least 20 songs out that will come to my mind later. So in no particular order:

1. For Crying Out Loud by Meatloaf – Meatloaf singing a love ballad – need I say more? Actually the words on here are fairly profound to hear the outpouring of love from someone who is viewed as a non-romantic, rough, quasi-rocker in this song to the one he loves is really beautiful.
2. Jill by Harry Connick Jr. – Le SIGH! This song makes me just want to slow dance real close with someone who thinks I am the best thing in their life. Le boohoo! Yeah, haven't had that yet, but still just an unbelievably beautiful song with the whole sultry sax thing going on.
3. You Were There by Tonio K – Reason explained here.
4. Bring on the Rain by JoDee Messina – a wonderful song full of feeling and angst about going through the tough times, making up your mind to get through them and ultimately surviving them. Love this song!
5. Have I Told You Lately (That I Loved You) by Rod Stewart/Van Morrison – The depth of the love as evidenced in those words is a powerful thing indeed. This would be a good song for dedication.
6. I Drove All Night by Roy Orbison – For personal reasons known only to me and one other, but also b/c Roy Orbison is a king among kings in the music industry. Also Cryin' by Mr. Orbison as well for the same reason.
7. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me by Sir Elton John and George Michael/Clay Aiken – Don't know why I like this song other than the lyrics seem so pleading and haunting and touch my heart.
8. Fields of Gold by Sting/Eva Cassidy – I came across this song during a very difficult time in my past, many, many years ago and it became my personal anthem in a strange way for nothing other than it makes me feel better when I randomly hear it on the radio (when I'm not listening to talk radio that is).
9. I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me – If you ever hear this song and it touches your heart you will understand why I am overwhelmed and overcome with tears every time I hear it. The words say it all, the emotions that come out to tell the unspoken story.
10. The Perfect Drug by Nine Inch Nails – because everyone needs a little hard music for their angry times or times when they're full of adrenaline and need to just move.

Surprised at that last one? You have no idea how my music tastes are affected by my moods. When I was younger, single with no children and could just go and ride with the radio blaring if I were particularly ticked over something. I would ride for miles along back road highways where I wouldn't really run into many people and break the speed limit as I listened to the likes of Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Kid Rock, the Bollock Brothers, The Cure, Ministry, etc. and vented my anger that way rather than confronting the object of my anger. It gave me "cooling off" time so I wouldn't say things I shouldn't be saying.

These years I mostly roll with the punches, am very even-keeled about things (mostly) and not a lot ruffles my feathers, mainly b/c of everything I've been though with family, work situations, moves and marriage/child these past few years. But every now and then I really want a cigarette (don't smoke anymore and haven't for a long time) and a long drive by myself with the radio cranked to 11 (for all you Spinal Tap fans).

Ok, so there is a bonus #, or a couple of them anyway. Most of you who have been following my blog, know that I usually have a "bonus" # meaning 6 answers instead of 5 or 11 instead of 10, etc.

My bonus song selection is:

11. Canto Alla Vita by Josh Groban and The Corrs (the version in Italian and English, not the only English one). The chorus as sung by The Corrs says it all:

I sing to life and to its tragic beauty
To pain and to strife, let all that dance through me
The rise and the fall; I've lived through it all


12. Stirring by Mercy Me because I just LOVE the music to it. It talks about that first meeting with Jesus in heaven and how exciting that day will be and could this be the day we are called Home.
13. In You by Mercy Me. Yes, I like Mercy Me. This song is about how in Jesus, the blind will be able to see, the lame will dance because they are able and the weary will find rest. With man these things are impossible but with God everything is possible even making the blind see and the lame walk and the deaf hear and there is no fear of death, no death indeed but eternal life.
14. When the Rain Comes by Third Day. This song talks about having someone to be there just to hold when things are going wrong in your life. Everyone needs one of those when things are at rock bottom.

When the rain comes it seems that everyone has gone away
When the night falls you wonder if you shouldn't find someplace
To run and hide / Escape the pain
But hiding's such a lonely thing to do

I can't stop the rain / From falling down on you again
I can't stop the rain / But I will hold you 'til it goes away

When the rain comes you blame it on the things that you have done
When the storm fades you know that rain must fall on everyone
Rest awhile / it'll be alright
No one loves you like I do

When the rain comes / I will hold you


So, I want to know, what songs mean something to you? What would you have in your jukebox or what do you play at the jukebox when you go out?
==================
AND HOOK 'EM HORNS! Beat USC!!!

4 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Yup, you and I would have a fine time at a jukebox party togehter. I think it's a great mix!
Lois Lane

Unknown said...

Whew! What a Christmas present. A mention in Nic's BLOG! Thank you! Glad you don't smoke. Yes on the slowdance-I'd love to do that someday soon myself--and what an interesting list. I had no idea NIC ROCKS. Very eclectic. I'm enjoying coffee and listening to Elvis out-takes which are fun and funny. I've seen Cyndi Lauper sing "I Drove All Night" live and that is awesome. But I think Roy's is a different song. I have a friend who bought Roy's car (delivered after his death) and he owns a Dallas bar with an Orbison theme. If you had an e-mail I'd decribe it better. Thanks Nic. You're a sweetheart!

no_average_girl said...

nice!!!

cmhl said...

I love your list!!!

I especially love meat loaf. love him.