Wise Words

"Wait on the Lord, be strong and of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart...wait on the Lord. Psalms 27:14

Translation/Search



CLICK FLAGS FOR PAGE TRANSLATION OPTIONS
Google
WWW As My World Turns

Thursday, March 30, 2006

HDQ/Ask Nic/Thankful Thursdays

Ok, so I was delinquent in getting the HDQ up, which should have been up yesterday and even more delinquent in answering my dear friend Great White Bear's Ask Nic question from a couple of weeks ago. And, of course, today is Thankful Thursday day, so you're getting a good group of things to view today!

HDQ/Ask Nic

HDQ: Simple pleasures are the best. What are your simple pleasures?

Nic's Answer: My simple pleasures are my daughter - her laugh, her hugs, her kisses, her excitement and enthusiasm - well, everything about her really. My other simple pleasures are truly quiet times to just talk to God (with an active 4 year old that’s not easy unless it’s at 2 in the morning!), a beautiful day with sun, a cool breeze and blue skies, white/yellow daisies, someone to slow dance with, a good red wine with a perfectly cooked steak and my mashed potatoes, a good book to read, candle light, a warm fire whether it be in a fireplace or a campfire, a hearty laugh, a massage that hits all the knots in my back and shoulders without bringing tears to my eyes, a clear mind and a good night’s sleep.

Ask Nic:

This is the place where you can ask me anything. Think of something you have wanted to know about me or were just curious about in general about myself, my experiences in life and love and parenting, my beliefs, etc... Again, be creative, be fun, be introspective, but please be clean! You can post the questions in the comments section or email me your question directly to asknic@gmail.com.

I will be posting the questions and their responses soon so check back within the next week for them. They probably will be up over the weekend if I get enough questions.

Nic’s answer to GWB’s Ask Nic question:

My dear friend Great White Bear asked...

Do you see yourself ever moving from your home state? If so, where would you be most likely to go and why?

Well, that’s tough to say. I find that as life goes on and I get older that the answer to that question is not a clear one. My life is here in Austin. My daughter, my job, my church, my mom, my two best friends. But is that enough to keep me here? I don’t know. I don’t know what the future will bring. Anything’s possible.

As to where I would most likely go? I would like to be closer to my family in Minnesota and Iowa. But I don’t think I could be too close, you know? I love them and as I grow older I find myself becoming more and more like them, but at the same time I’m independent enough to know that living too close to them would drive me NUTS! I do have to say that my very favorite city is Kansas City. I was serious with someone from there many years ago. I’ve blogged about him a couple of times over the past year. I don’t love the city b/c of him, rather I fell in love with the city b/c it is beautiful and vibrant and there is so much to do there like the Plaza, the Royals and the Chiefs, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. They still have drive in theaters and wonderful festivals such as the Plaza Art Fair, the Street Blues Fest, Irish Fair and Ren Fest among many, many others. The atmosphere there is friendly and laid back and they have quirky areas like Westwood. It is a family friendly place and I just love it.

However, I would also love to live in New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming or Colorado as well. I love the mountains and I love being able to actually HAVE seasons. Here is Texas it’s usually 3 weeks of Winter, 6 weeks of mild weather and then HOT the rest of the year with humidity 80% of the time. I love wide open spaces and snow. I’d love to live in a large log house in the mountains with a big rock fireplace and a large kitchen. :) I’d much rather live near the mountains than near the ocean and I would never, ever want to live in California or really anywhere on the West Coast with all of the fault lines and earthquake possibilities. I wouldn’t want to live on the East Coast b/c of the liberal attitudes. I’m waaaaaay too conservative for that. So I’d say Southwest/Midwest/Plains/Mountain areas would be the best for me.

So there you go. That’s where I would live if I weren’t living here.

Thankful Thursday’s:

~1 Thessalonians 5:18~ Give thanks to God in all circumstances (no matter what they may be), for this is God's will for you (who are) in Christ Jesus.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Thankful Thursday: What Nic is thankful for this week


Every day on this earth b/c it’s one more day with my precious daughter
Flowers that brighten the landscape and the day
Rain that makes the flowers grow
The Freedom to worship my Creator and God in private or public without fear for my life and the lives of my loved ones

Links to other Thankful Thursdays
No Average Girl
Sting My Heart
Ladybug Crossing
Nightingale
Child of God
Friday’s Child
Yellow Roses Garden

(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)


Click here for the Thankful Thursday code

Click here for Chrixean's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!



7 comments:

no_average_girl said...

that was a "blogful" today! :-)

Shelley said...

Wonderful list. I should do the Thankful Thursday list as well. Have a super weekend Nic!

no_average_girl said...

tag....YOU'RE IT!!! :-P

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Another great 'Thankful Thursday', Nic

Chrixean said...

Hi Nic. I'm so sorry i neglected to add you to the TTh blogroll! For some reason, i missed your post on the TTh code site. So sorry about that. I've added you to the list now and will look forward to your thursday post :-) God bless!

greatwhitebear said...

LOL. better late than never. I understand about the family thing. 3 hours away is about perfect.

You should give the east coast a second thought though. SOOOOO much to do and see, so much history. So much culture. So many hockey teams!

Besides, you might find hanigin out with my fellow liberals very liberating! So little to judge, so little guilt!

greatwhitebear said...

Wait a minute. You already live in the most liberal city in the south (not to mention the only southern city I have I have ever visited and wished to return to)!

Besides all the culture and seasons and great restaurants, what about the east coast would be different? If you got homesick, you could go to Brooklyn just to exprience some of that Texas style swagger!