Wise Words

"Wait on the Lord, be strong and of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart...wait on the Lord. Psalms 27:14

Translation/Search



CLICK FLAGS FOR PAGE TRANSLATION OPTIONS
Google
WWW As My World Turns

Friday, November 24, 2006

Friday's Feast, a Fun and Worthwhile FFT and an Ode

Wow! This has been a LONG day. Em slept for a couple of hours late yesterday afternoon so she wasn't asleep until close to 10:45 and then I was sleeping at 1:00 - up at 4:00. You know those good old Black Friday sales. I was very close to hitting the outlet malls at midnight but decided against it - my boys are playing right now anyway. Playing poorly, winning by 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter but I'm yelling at the screen nonetheless for them to get it together. After the game, I'm hitting the sack for some much needed shut-eye. The X has Em today so I can get some uninterrupted sleep. Then I might go hit the dance hall and get a dance or two in, but I'm undecided about that.

So, I actually have three things up on my blog this Friday. First up, the Black Friday Friday's Feast, then a delightfully fun and worthy FFT (I loved doing this one!) and last but not least, an Ode on a Black Friday from my dear blogfriend John Earle. He hit the serntiment that I feel so clearly that I couldn't help but share with y'all. If you like it, stop on by and tell him "thank you" and tell him I sent ya!

Friday's Feast

Appetizer
Have you ever changed a flat tire by yourself?

Yes. In drivers ed in high school, they made sure that EVERYONE could change a tire in order to pass. Didn't matter how "clean" your clothes were or how "prissy" you were about your appearance. You did it until you could change it. I'm a big believer in two things about driving - know how to change a tire and know how to drive a stick shift.

Soup
Do you have an "innie" or an "outie" belly button?

I have a deep innie.

Salad
Name a new paint color and describe it.

Er, um, Sparkling Sunshine - a deep, dandelion yellow with yellow glitter in it or how about Ravishing Red - a firey red with red glitter in it?

Main Course
What is your favorite holiday tradition?

At my mom's on Christmas Eve, after we've opened gifts and eaten once we got back from the 6:00 candlelight service at church, we take blankets and sleep out on the floor of the living room with the soft glow of the white lights on the Christmas tree illuminating the room and the quiet whisper of Christmas music playing oh, so softly as we fall asleep.

Dessert
If you were a cookie, what kind of cookie would you be, and why?

My favorite cookie is oatmeal raisin but if I were a cookie I would have to say that I am a warm, gooey, chocolate chip cookie just out of the oven. Homey, comforting, a little hot and completely irresistable! Heeheehee. :)

The Fabulous FFT
A dear friend of mine alerted me to this incredibly FUN FFT! You can Create Your Own Snowflake. Not only is it FUN but it is for a GOOD CAUSE. The more snowflakes that are created through the end of this year, the more money gets donated to the Salvation Army. PLEASE go make a snowflake, as many as you want, and go make money for a great organization that helps everyone.





My First Flake the "Star and Hearts" Snowflake

Go Create Your Own Snowflake(s) Now!

And last, but certainly NOT least, here is the poem from my friend John. He is a writer and created this poem last year and it got such a great response he decided to post it again. Enjoy it!

Our paper came on Turkey day.
It weighed about a ton.
'Twas full of ads for stores with sales
On stuff for play or fun.

Or maybe gifts for someone else,
Or items for our homes.
Seemed everything that stores can sell
Was offered in those tomes.

The Mall would open early,
And to get a super deal,
You had to rise at two or three,
(You’d better pack a meal!),

And stand in line outside the door
To be among the first,
Supplies were short. And all agreed;
To lose out was the worst!

So people from around the town
Did congregate and gather
Outside the doors of many stores,
And all were in a lather.

The folks would push and shove to be
The first inside to buy.
As “Don’t get in my way today,
I’ll knock you down!” they’d cry.

The traffic on the streets, it seemed,
Was packed and barely moving,
And tempers flared and teeth were bared.
'Twas not exactly soothing.

I wondered, in the midst of all
This snarling, angst, and hissing,
If maybe there was something here
That all of them were missing.

What happened to the “Ho, Ho, Ho!”
And “Peace on Earth!” we’d hear,
When friends and family gathered round
To share, from far and near?

This season is supposed to bring out
All the best in man,
Like loving, giving, peace and joy.
At least, that was the plan.

So what’s the answer? Is there, somehow,
Some sure way of stopping
The discontent connected with
Thanksgiving Friday Shopping?

For me it’s pretty simple:
When the mobs rush out to roam
The malls and stores and parking lots,
I’ll stay inside my home.

I’ll ponder God’s atoning Son,
The best gift given yet,
And do my Christmas shopping
On my high-speed internet!

3 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I know the day after Thanksgiving is when a lot of Americans start serious Christmas shopping.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this one:
http://www.oceangram.com/index2.html

It is the same as a message in a bottle...he he he

Jennifer said...

hey girl! i'm sorry i haven't been over here in a while! i've been so busy with nablopomo but i promise i'll catch up wtih you in december! however... i have a writing dilemma on my blog about a paper i need to write... if you have any ideas/suggestions, i would greatly appreciate your input!

thanks!