Wise Words

"Wait on the Lord, be strong and of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart...wait on the Lord. Psalms 27:14

Translation/Search



CLICK FLAGS FOR PAGE TRANSLATION OPTIONS
Google
WWW As My World Turns

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

HDQ: Exercises, exercises, we must do our exercises

I soooooo hurt today and I'm exhausted – I woke up at 4:30 and couldn't shut my brain off until about 5 minutes before my alarm went off. . .I hit the snooze 3 times. I worked out with weights last night for the first time in about 10-11 years and though I was only there for about 45 minutes, I woke up this morning really sore when I tried to get out of bed – especially from rear to knees – but it was a good sore. It has only gotten worse as the day wears on but I am determined to attack that weight room again tonight and see if I can work some of it out. I'm sure doing several flights of stairs in high heels didn't help out any (which is why I quit doing that and used the elevator this afternoon – after the 6th Charlie horse I decided it was time to stop sucking it up and do the easy thing) My body is protesting fairly strenuously but I'm telling it to shut up. This is something that I have to do for me – and Em. I want to be around for her for a very long time.

I also can't stand "diet" food. As my long time readers know, I like my stuff tasty and I like to eat good food and that really started to creep up on me over the past 5 years after Em was born. The beginning of the year is as good of a time as any to start getting in shape again. Now if only I can stick to it.

I signed up at this little rec center b/c it's really close to my house, it's affordable – really all I need are weights and a track – and I don't want to pay for things I won't have time to use and, I feel awful saying this, but this rec center is not ghetto-ish like the other rec centers in my area of town.

I figure I'll be going on average about 3 days a week but not on weekends – seeing as how they're not open on the weekends, which is fine by me b/c the weekends are for Em anyway and are off limits for any strenuous kind of exercise.

My time during the week is fairly limited but I figure if I get there directly after work (depending on the traffic – like today which SUCKED with the cold rain) I can get anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour in on the days that I do go there before Em gets home from her school/time with her dad. Something is better than nothing and, regardless of what I said above, I am determined to stick to it.

Working the Trail of Lights this year was the first time in about 9 years that I've done any exercise other than chasing Em around and even though the first 3 nights I came home exhausted and really sore I felt really good. I liked the way that the exercise made me feel and I had forgotten that. It's been too long and I have some really cute dresses I need to get back in to. (See resolution # 8 in the post below).

I'm optimistic that I'll go from this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

To this:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


HDQ: What is the one resolution you made for this year that will be fairly painful (physically or emotionally) but will be more than worth it in the long run?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Keep up the good work, you won't be sore forever (it just feels like it). If you take a hot bath use some Epsom salt in the bath it helps with sore muscles.

Winter Peck said...

Ouch! You jumped right in. I walked on a treadmill, increasing my speed every week, a month before I hit the weights. In the long run it helped reduce the amount of sorness I felt after lifting. I'm now jogging at intervals and having to increase the amount I lift just to feel the burn.

I too love the tasty food, but I've noticed a decided lack in the amount I eat of it. I'm eating more of the fresh fruits and veggies, and because I love chocolate, I started eating 70% dark chocolate. Still get the kick, but can't eat more than a small square. All in all, I've lost 20 lbs in six months, and probably gained about 20 of it in muscle weight.

Good luck! It'll work, as long as you stick to it!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Keep at it Nic, I'm sure you'll do well. You have a strong will. Remember though, it's the person that counts, not the size.